Thursday, July 1, 2010

Tangles and Quilts

Hello again....sorry for my week's absence. i've been in painting mode and have finished up the cellar window, door and wall at the house. and about half done with my studio windows on the south side. today i am taking a painting break. these windows are sad...every set of windows takes 2 tubes of caulk and a can of wasp spray. then a coat of primer and 2 coats of paint. each set takes 2 days if i keep to schedule of getting out there early each morning and late each evening....the only time there is shade there. but i only have 1 more set of windows to go. Should be all done by monday. then it's down to the basement to paint walls down there.



And my late nights are spent tangling. since i have discovered Zentangles nothing is safe from me. i have practiced some....





That's sort of a crooked egg.

And i tangled a little box. i think i will cut some paper this shape and keep my practice pieces in this box. i got a couple books from Amazon and was practicing some of the things i found in the book.







Then i tried a tiny, bitty egg gourd. it's round instead of egg shaped and about 2" across. i think it was the runt of the litter but i wanted to use him as my practice piece and see if it worked. i have more gourds to tangle. woopee!!  i painted it with silver paint first. i think future gourds will have to be sanded first to get a smoother finish.





Nothing is sacred....i even started tangling my crocs. still have to finish the left one...my marker ran out of ink.





And on the quilty side, i pieced this little cute top. we learned the pattern in class on monday and i have the top done already...perhaps a first for me. LOL  i used up some yellows and purples in my stash and already have plans for another one....only larger. this one is good baby size..about 50x60.



So that is what i have been up to this week.

Have a tshirt quilt on the frame that i hope to finish in a couple days. Near future plans are some partait fabric dyeing, more playing with the Quiltazoid and, of course, more tangling. i need more hours in my days.

Oh, and my birthday is next Thursday...wonder what i should do. any ideas for me?

Enjoy your 4th of July weekend. our little town is having a 'do' on saturday and we will go and eat, visit vendors, listen to music and smooze with friends.

Have fun, stay cool and be careful.


1 comment:

Zentangle said...

Hi Shirley, I accidentally found myself on your blog, and I guess nothing in life happens accidentally, but the fact that you had all that fabric waiting to be quilted brought back memories. My mum was (she passed away a few years ago) a seamstress, a furrier, an upholsterer and in her later years, a quilter. When I was young, she would tote me around fabric stores and wholesalers (because she eventually had her own fabric store)....and had more little pieces of fabric (we used to refer to it as "cloth" when I was young) than you know who. What we rolled our eyes about back then, we of course created the same situation with our daughters......(I was one of 7 and I had 3 children). I didn't quilt, but I had a fascination of making clothes (for me and my kids) out of other clothes. I did not have much to spend on myself or the kids, and I am grateful for that, for it made me do things I perhaps would never have done. Re-cutting and designing stuff out of cast-offs were my specialties. I still have tons of bits of old clothes that I just cannot get rid of. And though I do not sew that much anymore (for lack of time) I do alter and "improve" most everything I wear. It's an obsession and passion. Zentangle has replaced much of what I used to do, but it was fun remembering some of the challenges I faced in my creative world. You can visit us at BlogZentangle. Best, maria

Search This Blog