Thursday, September 23, 2010

Pieced Batting

What do you do with your batting pieces that are left over from a quilt project?

If they are large enough i use them for baby quilts or wall hangings.

But then, you still have pieces that are too large to throw away but not large enough for another quilt....but i keep them just the same. by now, i have a large laundry basket full of pieces. 

I used  to stitch them together to use in donation quilts or in my own quilts. but i didn't like the bumpy seams. yesterday i had a brain storm and figured out a way that is quick, easy and quilting friendly.

I used my embellisher machine.

I just trimmed the pieces so the edges were even, made sure the same sides were up, placed one about 1/4" over the other...and ran it through the embellisher. Voila!!


Then i flipped it over and ran over the other side.



The seam comes out as flat as the batting...no bumps. and you can tug on it and it won't come apart. don't know why it took me so long to figure this out.

It probably wouldn't work on 'puffier' batting but the thinner warm and natural works great. i just quilted a baby quilt with 7 batting pieces in it.....i dare you to find a seam. you can't.


2 comments:

helen-mary said...

OMG you are brilliant.

Mom said...

I almost always use all my scraps. I rotary cut the edges , and then stitch a wide and not too long zig zag stitch. The seams are butted, with absolutely no bulk. You cannot feel anything but smooth batting!

Search This Blog