Monday, November 26, 2012

My Goodness....

Where have I been for the last 2 weeks?  hmmmm....i can't come up with a good excuse. LOL

I've been hopping here and there....

..only one more corner piece to put together then the Dear Jane quilt top is ready to be quilted. i'm going to (try) hand quilting this one. i've never done that before. am assembling supplies...thimble, thread, needles, batting, etc. watching online videos and talking to a fabulous hand quilter that i know to get pointers and tips. i have been doing a bit of practice. it's going to be slow....i figure a year. if i can get it done in 6 months i'll be much happier. there will be thousands of yards of SID quilting. pray for me. hahahaha

...I got the Safari Animals top put together. using wool felt and hand appliquing them down. they turned out cute. ... i think. right now i am thinking i will quilt trees in the backgrounds. might need to find some tree patterns....or stencils....or something. still thinking.

Here is the whole thing. the background is a orange/rust paisley fabric that i had. i used all but a small piece about 6x8". i had to work out the plan on graph paper to get all the blocks together.


You'd think my picture taking abilities would be improved...but apparantly not. there are 2 zebras. i stitched the stripes on him separately.


There were 4 different monkeys and 2 elephants.


This photo shows the background fabric the best. you can see the top of a giraffe...there are 4 of them. and 5 different birds...crane, parrot, ostrich, etc.


It's going into the to-be-quilted cabinet. i'm thinking it will be a monthly UFO Challenge top for next year...then i know it will get quilted in a year.

We got a fir tree pattern in quilt class....with a challenge for the Christmas party to piece the tree and embellish it. i got mine finished and got the binding on it, too. but i don't want to show it because i know some of my classmates look at my blog. so, i'll just give you a tease until after the party...then i'll show the rest.


I've dug out the monthly Santas again from PieceMakers and am hand stitching on that again in the evenings.

My embroidery machine has been busy. i am stitching out many, many blocks. i decided if i have all these embroidery CDs with designs....i better at least use them once. i probably have 20 sets of designs stitched our already....just awaiting their turn to become a quilt top....and eventually to be quilted.

These are....Daddy's helpers...cute little bears with various tools.


This is called On the Road Again...various vehicles...think vacations and road trips.


And i put this little top together for the vet in town. he can hang it on his wall and get a chuckle.


And i've quilted up a few customer quilts. i seem to be getting more from out of state.

Although it's not really cold here yet...no snow flying....we have spent the last couple weeks cutting wood and stacking it in the shed. the stacking part is my job and my shoulders know that i've been working.

Thursday i head out to the Duck...there is a dumpster being delivered on Friday....so that is dumpster day. i'm hoping this is the last one that i need. my sister is getting one also....so on Saturday...and possibly Sunday...we will be filling her dumpster with the remnants of her 3 car garage that we took down. my shoulders will probably be talking to me again.

Our new entertainment is auctions. here in town it's Monday night. we go and i tell myself i won't buy anything...but i usually come home with SOMETHING. LOL   and last Friday we found a newer and better auction.....only it's about 50 miles away. but it is better than the in town one and we will check them out again. it is cheap entertainment and kind of fun. i believe the one in town is more a get together and swap stories with the locals than any serious selling. .... plus you can pick up Frito Pie or a bowl of chili for a couple dollars for dinner. we country people know how to live. hahahahahaha

I am clearing out my studio and selling all my quilts. i even took down the ones hanging on the walls. the bins were full and they all have to go. i came up with 61 quilts to sell. plus 3 or 4 more small ones hanging on the walls that i didn't take down. so far i have sold 7....and put 7 more on consignment in a shop in town. would be nice if a couple sold there, too. i have an ad in the paper through Christmas and a sign outside the studio. In January what is left will go on Etsy. then i get to make all new things and start all over again. LOL   you didn't think i was quitting....did you?  that's not gonna happen.

OK...now you know everything going on around here. i'll try and come up with something more exciting.

Until then...i'll talk to you....

Later

2 comments:

Jen said...

A little more exciting? LOL, girl, you flat out amaze me with your projects! Love those shoulders talking to ya...just think of all the muscles your building up. Ha! I feel for you. It's a bit harder when we are slightly over 50, eh? ROFL!! I'm truly grateful to be blessed with good health when so many of my friends are having problems. I have 6-7 cords a year to take care of by myself, usually,(unless I can nab my eldest grandson). Love it when he is able to help out.
Take it easy, don't overdue it. Good luck on selling those quilts. I'm so glad you aren't quitting, never had a doubt!
Jen
AK

Eileen said...

Now, this has nothing to do with your projects posted here, but I saw this and thought you would enjoy yet another use for selvages!

http://bryanhousequilts.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/tutorial-making-binding-from-selvedge.html?showComment=1350080426207#c6028750541578366083

Enjoy!
Eileen

Search This Blog