Thursday, August 30, 2012

#7 UFO Challenge for August

Finished my UFO Challenge #7 for August. with a day to spare. This is called Nantucket Knots. It's a pattern i have had for a while....don't know where i got it. years ago i cut all my reds and blues to make these blocks. the blocks are 5.5 inches finished. the pattern was for a quilt about 36" so i really didn't calculate how many blocks to cut.....i think i just cut pieces until i used all my red and blue fabrics at the time.


I had maybe 3 rows finished. this box lived in my sister's closet for years. whenever i went to visit i would sew a few blocks together. finally i brought it home and it became an official UFO for 2012. i made 130 blocks....set them 10x13.  i figured that was plenty. it came to 65x86 inches. good enough.


I had cut so many blocks years ago....that there were still enough pieces in the box to make at least 150 more blocks. yikes!!  what was i thinking?  so, when i went to quilt class last Monday i gave them to Brenda. she makes a lot of veterans quilts and i was hoping she would take them...and she did.  thank you, Brenda.


I wasn't going to put a border but finally caved and did it. there was a piece of red/blue/purple fabric in the stash and i had just enough to use it up. it was fate! and found a maroon in the stash for the binding.


I used a panto on this one....Star Swirl. it's one of my favorites. dark green Glide thread on the top and white Bottom Line on the bottom.


So, another UFO is finished and 3 more to go for this year. i'm hoping to finish more than 3 though.

But if the weather cools off some i might have to do some yard work and save the quilting for ...

Later

9 comments:

Vicki W said...

Kudos to you! You are finishing and I am starting 2new projects that are destined to become UFOs!

Carol said...

It surely takes a lot of determination to finish such a large quilt of 5-1/2" blocks! Well done!

Karen said...

I really like this one. Congrats on the finish.

Dar said...

I love scrap quilts and yours is beautiful. What a nice friend you are to give away so many blocks for another quilt. That's a good way to reduce your stash quickly.
BTW who makes Star Swirl? Looks pretty.

Kate said...

Beautiful scrap quilt. Love the border fabric, it's just right. Congrats on the finish.

Cheryl said...

Congratulations on your finish...it looks great. My number 7 didn't even get off the shelf.

AnnieO said...

Finishing a UFO this old must be especially thrilling! It looks wonderful.

Dawn said...

What a great finish, to bring this one from pieces to completely quilted and done!

Sarah said...

I love this quilt! What an interesting block.

Congrats on the finish!

Search This Blog