Monday, June 17, 2013

Books and Duck

I went to my sister's over the weekend. we did a little thrift store shopping....naturally. and went to a book sale in Greenville on Saturday. then i worked at the Duck for a couple days.

I had a whole truckload of yard sale and auction goodies to take down there.

I found a futon for the bedroom. i thought i would need something small in there....but there is surprisingly a lot of space. so this might wind up in the living room and i can put a full bed in there one day. yah, i know....i don't have walls yet.


I have a friend who gave me a box of ceramic tile bits and pieces. i bought a table base at an auction and cut a board to fit the top of it. i am playing with arranging the tiles into some semblance of 'something' that i can live with. my sister helped me with this design. it was the third try. i think i will use this design.


I drew some circles and laid some stuff out. i might get another round or two before i run out of things that match.


I have lots of broken up pieces, so i think i will put them all around the edges. and any of the other parts left over. i almost hate to put them all down on the table....i'll just have to take them off to lay the grout and do it all over again.



I got my luan walls in the dining room painted black. i really like the dark color and will be painting other rooms dark, too. although you won't see this...the barnwood will cover it. i just painted the black so that is what you will see behind the holes in the barn wood.


Black is really hard to photgraph.


Here is my start of putting the barnwood up. 4 sections. and that took me a while. LOL  i started on the other side and it wasn't working out for me....so i moved over here. i had to go and buy a large ruler that i could mark a 45 degree angle. the walls of the house are no longer square, plumb or straight. but baseboard will cover the bottom and trim will cover the top and corners.


Here is a closer shot. the white board is one that i had painted....to see how i liked the milk paint. they will all get painted over....i believe an orange....sort of a pumpkin.


When i looked at this in person...it looks ok. but when i look at the photo....i can see that top board is crooked where i pieced the second board. i already took it off once and re-did it. i will have to do it once again when i go back. that second little piece was narrower than the other board and left a gap that i filled with a piece of wood. i might have to take that off and redo it with a wider board. it's a slow process. and the next layer will deal with that electric plug, too.


I've never put barnwood on a wall.....and at an angle....so, it's a learning process. the boards are different widths....sometimes different thicknesses. have knots, holes and cracks. i like it....but it is really heavy.

And although i now have electric....i do not have air conditioning. i only have 2 fans. so, more fans are on the agenda when i go back. it is getting warm in there.

I picked up most of a large pile of mulch when i was there and brought it back to the farm for my flower beds. i worked on that for 2 mornings....4 buckets, 4 boxes, and 6 bags of mulch. and i STILL didn't get it all. but that is all that fit in my truck with the other things that i brought back. i hope to pick up the last of it the next time i go back.....in about 3 weeks.

July 6 is burn day so my sis and I are going to be fire bugs. she has branches and stuff to burn and so do i, so we will pull out the barrels and burn away. hopefully the fire department won't visit us like last time. hahahahaha

Oh, and i scored this little bench at an estate sale. and stuck it in the entryway for now. i don't believe it will live there forever, but for now it is ok. it might be a good bench to go at the end of a bed. that little sisal rug was an auction find for $5. that little table needs to be sanded and re-painted. many projects to do. and i need to get some tile on that floor, too. they are in the garage.


Some day i will actually have walls. new tires and truck repair took my wall money for now. sigh!!

Who knows.....i might be living in a houses with just insulation walls. LOL   shoot....we lived with an insulation ceiling in the kitchen in the farm for about 3 years before the ceiling finally went up last year....and i STILL have not painted that. i started it.....but that's it.

Some day.

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

I love watching the progress on the duck!

Eileen said...

It is so much fun going through this from a distance ... I cheer every little triumph and frown at the little problems ... keep it up!

Search This Blog