Sunday, December 4, 2011

Home and Harvest center block

I went to the Duck the last few days....but because of previous injuries (plus..it was COLD)...i was not able to do any actual work. so i spent 2 days at the Beast with my sister....sitting in a chair...with my feet up on the ottoman...and stitching this.


It is the center block of a small wall hanging (36" square) that is called Home and Harvest. The pattern is found in Quiltmaker magazine...beginning January 2005 and running for 6 issues. it was designed by Erica Kaprow. this center block is 16" square and the blocks surrounding it are 8".

I had so much fun working this block. i used 2 strands of embroidery thread (from the huge Aunt Sophie stash) to stitch the pieces down with the buttonhole stitch. i am a bit shaky with hand work...the pieces keep moving on me even though i pin them. so some pieces are a bit wonky....but i like it just the same.

Here is a close up of the tree so you can see it better....the color matched the background too much so i used a lighter green to stitch it down.



I lightened the picture considerably so you could see the tree better. the leaves have veins in them and the windows have sashings. i will put a bead for a doorknob and the dog and cat eyes. i might put some apples in the tree...don't know yet.

The other blocks are florals....in pots and vases. gonna be some tiny pieces.

But in 2012 i want to do some applique quilts that i have patterns for and this is my first one.

I also signed up for a crazy quilt monthly project in 2012 and Judy Laquidara's UFO challenge so it will be a very busy year.

Wish me luck

Later

1 comment:

MaryAnn said...

yeah! Good luck with that! I really don't care for applique much. I have been working on an applique quilt I started several years ago when Barb and I were in a quilting class. It's flannel. I probably should try to finish it, since it is winter hehehe. Oh well, too many pots in the fire. I think I used stitch witchery or something like that to keep the peices in place??

Search This Blog