Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Rugs and barn wood

I finally finished crocheting my tshirt rug. it is a heavy thing but very colorful. it will live at the Duck when it is ready for prettying up. now i can say i made a rug from tshirts. it was easy enough to do but made a big mess when cutting the tshirts into strips. and was very warm when it was on my lap while crocheting.


A lady that is in my quilt group volunteered to weave me a rug from tshirts. i thought that was a fascinating idea so i gave her some cut up tshirts and told her to go for it. she asked if i would like some extra bling in the rug, too. so i happily said yes to that idea also. last monday she brought my rug to class.


It is surprisingly soft and light in weight. i really like it.



It has all these pieces of yarn sticking up that make it 'me'. LOL  not sure how i will use it....i think it is too lightweight and delicate for a floor rug. it may become a coffee table rug or sofa table rug. not sure yet. i tied off all the fringe last night and trimmed it off evenly. i wonder how it will survive a round in the washer and dryer.



We brought home a trailer load of barn wood yesterday. my goodness, oak wood from years ago is very heavy.....and much thicker than today's wood.  we had a time getting that trailerload home over the hills of Missouri. i don't know what that trailer weighed but it was a chore for hubby's truck to pull it.


There looks like there are about a 100 boards on here. average about 6-7 foot long. and different widths. they still have the nails in them....so i am on nail pulling duty in the evenings.



My plan is to use this on my living room walls at the Duck. some of the ends will need to be trimmed. since they are shorter than i wanted, i think i will do a zigzag sort of pattern on the walls...cutting the edges at 45 degrees. i'll probably draw out a few designs and see which i like.

I pulled nails last night from about a dozen boards. some of the nails just fell out and could be pulled by hand...some pulled pretty easily...and, of course, there are always some that you have to fight for.  i got this many pulled from the boards i did last night.



SO, my days will be at the studio trying to catch up on quilting and my evenings pulling nails and getting grass mowed. in high 90 degree heat. i've been taking afternoon naps. .... there is nothing worth doing in afternoon heat except napping.....the dog agrees with me. LOL

Do you have an idea of how to install my wood on the walls?  let me know.


No comments:

Search This Blog