Friday, May 16, 2014

Selvage Dots

The next time someone says.....hey, look at this quilt. i saw this and thought of you....i need to just turn my head.

And this wasn't even the one they were showing me.....it just happened to be on the same page when i printed it out. 

I'm a sucker for selvage quilts. this one uses only the dots. it's a 6" finished block....but, this one is 4 blocks together in a 4 patch...  i was noticing that a lot of the blocks have empty space on one end. i wondered if i put them together with the blank spaces toward the middle....would it make some kind of design...i was thinking "starish".  nope....didn't happen


Perhaps if i turned it on point....nope...didn't help.but's that's ok. i still like them. and that's how they will eventually all go together....one way and then the other way....so sewing these 4 together didn't hurt anything. 


Once i saw this you know what i did....i dug through all my boxes of selvages and cut off all the dots. then cut out some foundation pieces. these finish at 6". i have 18 of them made. now i am out of dots. 

So, my friends, i need more selvage dots. got any you want to send me? you don't want me to be deprived, do you?  you DO?.....shame on you.  i would send you selvage dots if you needed some. 

While i await the good fairy to send me more selvage dots....i will go and work on another selvage quilt idea. i am full of ideas.....and perhaps other stuff, too.   hahahahahaha

Later

2 comments:

Helen said...

I like this. Some friends have sent me selvages. Some have quite a bit of fabric still attached - and I can turn those into blocks easily. Others are selvage and hopefully the stapling marks only - which is quite narrow. Are they still able to be used? some are actually quite cute and I keep thinking - change purse, handbag - things like that (now a vest would be cute!) If the narrow ones are useable - then I am assuming you use less than 1/4 inch stitching line (since they are selvages - no problem? or is there one?) Or do you fuse and tack them together? or stitch to foundation?

shirley said...

Helen....usually, you need about 1/2" width. i normally do a 1/4" seam. i normally sew my selvages on a foundation....scrap fabric. i sew each on top of the other....but try to cover about 1/4". you could try a smaller seam. or use a zigzag stitch. however you want to do it is the right way. LOL

Search This Blog