Thursday, May 28, 2020

They just keep coming

This has been the toughest month to get rid of blue scraps and selvages. I sorted yet another box of them and pulled out all strips and squares. I left the odd shaped pieces....maybe they will get used....maybe not. depends if i run out of month.

May 26 ...  19 scrap blocks made....well, I don't have a pic. but you know what they look like. haha

May 27....36 scrap blocks made....same thing....pic not here.

Then.....this morning I went to the studio. I spent a couple of hours outside trimming a tree and pulling weeds. Then...naturally...the thunder started and the rain came....so I quit and went outside. I figure God told me I had worked enough. ... who am I to argue.  haha

I was supposed to be quilting....or embroidering....but, no...I was thinking of June's color.....white.  I have tons of white selvages and scraps....just like the blue. But I didn't have a plan of what to make. I intended to switch the color to purple for the month.....I don't have much purple at all and it would go quickly.

But then....the brain kicked in....and I got not one....but two .....white block plans. So, I CHEATED ....and had to make a block to make sure the plan was a good one.

Plan A.....I have yards of white fabric that has old fashioned toys on it....rocking horse....jack in the box....teddy bear....wooden alphabet blocks....roly poly toy....you get the idea. So, I cut out a bunch of them....over 50....and this is what those blocks will look like.


I will just go around them with white selvages. trim to 6.5" and set them 7x8....my usual for this size block. that will be a child size quilt. 

Then, last night, when i was working on blue blocks....an idea popped into my head. what if..????

So, Plan B.... I sat down this morning and made these 9 blocks. all will have white selvages....with a little surprise in the middle of the block.


The center block has a pink 'border'....


Then the next round has a green border.... each block will still have a surprise in the center. I didn't worry if the green selvages met precisely where the blocks met....and I didn't worry that all the greens were the same.


My white selvages are not pure white.....any fabric whose background color is white goes into the white selvage box...unless it has a strong color in the design that overwhelms the white, then it will go with that color.


The next round will be a different color....maybe orange or purple. who knows. and I don't know how many rounds there will be....I guess till I get tired of making them....or run out of materials.  But, these were so much fun this morning....and I made 9 of them in no time at all....it will be hard to leave these alone till Tuesday ...... when it is officially June....and time to work on white.

But, I'm glad I cheated and figured these out. Now I am excited to work on them. And, like the blue....there are tons of white.
















No comments:

Search This Blog